14 March 2006

File: Goals

This is the spring of scare-the-hell-out-of-me. That means I'm going to do things that scare me, despite being afraid. Why? Different reasons for all, mostly just to better myself and try things that I've failed in or haven't tried because of failure.

My goals this spring:

1. Exercise on a regular basis, between 2-3 times per week. I've never been good about this, perhaps because, in my house growing up, I always had to defend physical activity and still harbor remaining guilt everytime I exercise. How to conquer: I'm taking a pilates class, I am trying to find time for running, and I joined my new company's softball team.

2. Expand musical vocabulary. I've always thought I was bad at music, especially singing. Apparantly, all I needed was a little training. My choir at Kol Ami has helped. Our choir, and a buunch of others from around Chicagoland (I hate that phrase), performed with Julie Silver. Last night, I sang in the purim spiel, titled Rhapsody in Shul. We took Gerswhin songs and rewrote the lyrics. I had my first solo ever. It scared me to death. Matt took pictures and Karyn's Matt took video. Initial pictures are at larsenopolis.blogspot.com. How to conquer: Well, last night helped. But, it just gave me the bug to do more. I'm going to take voice and piano lessons.

3. Return to performing. I miss it. It's been awhile. After leaving improv to explore scripted work and then having my worst audition of my life (on the CSz stage, no less), I stopped doing theatre. The wedding helped, then life got away from me and I didn't have time for theatre. I've decided to make time and return to performing. How to conquer: I'm taking an improv class at ComedySportz. I'm pretty sure my skills are rusty (read: lost, bad), and I'm afraid of looking like an idiot in front of a friend, but I've decided this is a needed hurdle in order to get back on the horse.

4. Get serious about my writing. I have pieces I'm really proud of that sit on my desk and gather dust. It kills me, but I'm too afraid to do anything with it. Why? No idea. How to conquer: I'm going to start sending things out seriously.

I realize it's ambitious, but ambition is one of the few things that doesn't frighten me.

No comments: