28 February 2007

File: The Day After

Today is our third wedding anniversary. I thought our wedding day would be the happiest of my life, but before we walked down the aisle my dad gave me some sage advice. He said that I shouldn't look to our wedding day full of celebration as the pinnacle of happiness and fulfillment. Instead, I should look to the day after and the day after and the many days after until happily ever after.

I didn't quite understand it at the time because our wedding day was filled with so much joy, but after three years I finally get it. The brilliance and strength of our marriage is not in the goings-away or in the moments filled with parties, but in the mundane everydayness of our lives.

This is what I have learned to treasure. And while I haven't felt that I would burst from joy everyday, I am, overall, the happiest I've ever been. Matt, thank you for being my anchor to all things true. May we always have 120.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Two great people. One great couple. I love how you tell your stories together.

Anonymous said...

Brandi! I didn't know about this site and I found it on the metblogs. This post just totally made me tear up at work. I love you and Matt so much. Your wedding was so beautiful and I know that things will only keep getting better for the two of you. Happy belated anniversary and I lifetime of continued happiness!

I miss you!!

Love, erica