12 February 2006

File: 365, recap

We had a really fun time when the folks from "Breakfast Around The World" came over to film last Sunday.

At 8 am, the camera crew (director, cameraman, assistant and producer) showed up. They were all very, very nice. They liked our house and the cats seemed to behave, for the most part.

Breakfast went without a hitch, with the exception of the matzoh brie which wouldn't flip. That's never happened. We stopped rolling until I chiseled it out of the pot and was able to flip it on camera. Despite its stubbornness, it wound up tasting really good and I think I just introduced the joy of matzoh brie to an entire culture.

It was a cooking show, so they had me cut all the ingredients up and place them into little bowls before the filming. Big thanks once again to Karen and Dave who bought us the glass nesting bowl set for our engagement.

Some things were a little odd: we did the majority of the cooking things in one take. They filmed me turning around with a big smile for nine takes. The format of the show was also interesting: I cooked, Matt "slept," then they filmed me "waking" him up. We then sat together at the table and I watched as he ate and complimented me on my cooking. Then, we made out. They had to instruct us to "kiss longer." There was a long monologue that I delivered to the camera on how I make the meals all the time because Matt likes them. I hope I get dubbed.

Outside of shooting: they loved our refrigerator. They opened the fridge (thank G-d I cleaned it till it shined) and stood there talking about it for 5 minutes. They would pull out different foods and talk about them. They thought that putting protein into smoothies was "very American." They loved Bacos. I mean an-eating-out-of-the-bottle-love for Bacos. It was cute.

We had a lot of fun and would open out house to them and any other foreign tv crews that want to fly halfway around the world to film us in natural habitat.

My favorite quote, from Darrah: "I can't believe my intellectual feminist friend is going to be playing the wifey on international tv." Yup, that's where it's at.

If anyone's in Japan, it airs 2.18.06. Otherwise, we'll be hosting a DVD watching party. I'll make the recipes I feature.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh how fun. Love the blog. I'm so excited that the bowls we gave you will be on international tv.

David M Maxwell said...

I have *got* to see this show. :-)