23 February 2006

File: 365, The Fam, Friends

I started the new gig on Monday.

I like it. It's completely different from where I was, which is a good thing and a bittersweet thing as well. I miss the boisterous atmosphere of the old gang. I miss green walls. I miss the dog.

Things that amuse me: a co-worker eats beef jerky from a bag he keeps in his filing cabinet, Matt went to college with a co-worker and a co-worker's wife, my boss toured the country with the WWE, the place has so many books, I read for a living.

The job is a little different than thought, but pretty close. I'm not doing as much writing. It's a good blend of editing the work of freelancers and publishing articles. Right now, it's all about production, getting these articles to the client. I like thinking too and had a bunch of ideas which I talked about with my boss. He was open to almost all of them. Hooray! He's a really nice guy and I feel lucky to be there.

Something cool: we use Lotus Notes, the program Uncle Mike wrote back in the day. It makes me feel connected to him just by being at work. It's been 14 years this month since his death. That's crazy, I think about how much he's missed and how much I miss him. I'm sure it was better in the 90's, but the program's kind of wonky. I want to call Lotus (now IBM) and ask them what's up.

We work on Macs. I have the Mac Mini, the Mighty Mouse, and the big monitor Matt and I drool over whenever we're in the Apple store. That's pretty cool.

It's strange working in the burbs. Granted, it's the closest burb to the city (Lincolnwood), but it's still weird. The people who have windows have amazing views of the parking lot and the power tower which stands in the parking lot and makes me wonder if I'm going to get cancer if I work there long enough. Mom and Dad would love this burb, though. There's a lot like it in South Florida. And lots of chosen peeps. There's a temple on every corner. Very cool. So, Mom and Dad, move to Lincolnwood! I'll come home for lunch.

I'm a little lonely at work. Maybe it's the isolated nature of cubes and offices vs. the loft. Maybe it's that I don't have friends there yet. I joined the softball team (the Boppers) in an effort to change that. I know it'll get better, that it's just time, but it makes me a little blue right now.

A bunch of friends touched base with me last night. It made me feel loved and happy. Thanks, guys. Christel and Steve are in town for a wedding, so we're going to see them tonight. I'm excited to see them in Chicago. In other news, Darrah yelled at me for reading books and not going to her for style advise. My response: You will always be my fashion idol, but I'm a slow learner. This could be sped up if you move to Chicago!

Ok, really need to hop in the shower now.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Ok, so you were busy with the new job and not lost at Ikea. The job sounds great, different but in a good way. Knowing you you will know everyone in no time.

Anonymous said...

Your new gig sounds great, Brandi!

Your uncle worked on Lotus Notes? Wow, crazy. I'm kind of jealous of all the people I know who come from geek families, because they can have conversations with their families that I never get to have.

I really hate cubes too, but I'm sure that feeling a bit isolated is completely normal your first week. I know you'll make lots of friends soon.

Brandi. said...

It's getting better. I liked the meeting. My whole department is nice. we're starting to talk to each other more. Today, we go for tacos. When the new guy (love that I'm there a week and will no longer be the new guy) comes on Monday, we're all planning on going for drinks at The Purple Hotel. It begins.

It is kind of cool being in a geek family. Conversation is always interesting, but these days it's mostly my middle cousin, Shane, trying to one-up Matt and my dad on his techy knowledge.