15 January 2007

File: Home, Family, Dadfest '07

Let's Here it for the Dads!

This past weekend we had Dadfest 2007. Matt and I took Friday off to welcome my dad and Matt's dad into town. It was awesome. (I promise to post pictures.)

We started off Friday by picking up my dad at the airport, late. (Sorry!) We drove back here and he looked at our new home. He liked it. Rio and Patrick were in full cute overload and once again charmed him with their mad meowing and fetching skills. Rio followed my dad around all weekend -- I don't think she'll ever be the same.

We walked down to the Devon Market and made some smart food choices. (I'm so proud of my dad for eating right.) We celebrated my dad's birthday with winter gear and singing.

Then, we went to the airport and picked up Matt's dad, also late. (Sorry!) The plan was to rent the truck and head to IKEA, but Matt's dad (whom we call Pop) wanted to see our place. We drove back up here and we broke out the graph paper. A couple of hours and a few drawings later, we were ready.

The drive to IKEA was excruciating. It took an hour and a half, thus cutting it too close to actually buy anything (yes, there were tears). After a mere twenty minutes in the store, we were back in the car, with the promise to return the next morning. The dads and I then went out to dinner at Soupbox. My dad learned the value of a scarf when he found out that the Windy City is actually, um, windy.

Matt had a ComedySportz show and brought the funny. They sang the birthday song to my dad; he was sort of embarrassed by this, especially when we (okay, I) made him stand up and say his name. (He was so cute and shy, despite whispering suggestions into my ear all night.) Matt's dad got into the act too when Matt asked for a question from the audience and he replied, "What do I tell my son who insists on spending his Friday evenings on the stage in Chicago?" Matt's response, as an imprisoned felon, was funny because he played back. It was a good time. I love seeing the pride the dads had to watch Matt. I love watching him, too. A funny guy, my husband. There was a nice moment for me as well because a couple of people came up and complimented me on my performance in the theatre a few weeks ago (I had done a student show). The best part: within earshot of my dad. Yeehaw!

We got up uber-early on Saturday and the dads were already hatching a plan. We drove to IKEA, which my father described as a wonderland, and actually had time to shop. Perhaps we had too much time -- it was past noon when we left and everyone was getting a little antsy. We stopped at Home Depot, bought more stuff, and came home. We unloaded and returned the truck. The real reasons the dads were in town began in earnest.

Matt's dad came to build us French Doors and a desk. He brought with him awesome tools (which he let us keep, so generous and amazing). He taught Matt how to use a table saw, how to miter, how to hang doors. Matt is well on the way towards earning his stripes and becoming quite the carpenter.

My dad came in town to teach me how to fix everything. And to actually fix everything. I had problems with the washing machine, the dryer, the doors, the toilet, the shower, the lights, the plumbing. I know this makes our new place sound like the money pit, but it's really not -- there were just a bunch of little things, but I didn't know how to do any of them and couldn't have figured them out if he wasn't here. My dad and I also put together our new furniture.

Both dad efforts were a raving success. We have French doors. We have a guest room door that closes and no longer has bright gold doorknobs. We have a ten foot desk, which was a collaborative effort from all parties (even the cats, we have pictures). And, we have a toilet that no longer has a childproof flusher.

The best part about Dadfest was spending time with our dads and our dads acknowledging us as grown-ups. I always had that vision in mind about what family is or could be. This weekend, it was everything I ever wanted. Thank you, dads, for it all.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Fabulous post Brandi. Sounds like Dadfest 2007 was a great time! Shopping, sawing, building, Matt bringing on the funny.

Your place does not sound like a money pit at all. Every new place has a ton of little things you want to change. You are making the place yours!

I've been thinking of bugging you for pictures of the purple bathroom. Now I am bugging you for french door, desk and everything else pictures too.

Hooray for Dadfest!